Thursday, 21 February 2008

Trip to London




A full week has gone by since I last posted, no finishes which I can post pictures of at the moment as one is the Monthly Challenge on the Jayne's Attic Forum and the other is a suprise item, so they will be revealed at a later date. I haven't done much stitching as Jeff & I went away to London for a few nights over the weekend. It was our second childfree trip since Isaac was born almost 4 years ago, so it was a lovely treat.

The main reason for our trip was to visit the Tutankhamen Exhibition at the O2 (formerly the Millennium Dome), but we managed to fit a bit of shopping and sightseeing in too. The weather was very cold but sunny as you can see from the pictures, the sun was shining and the sky was blue and cloud free :).

We spent our first afternoon shopping, we had orders from isaac to buy him a London Bus, so we headed to Hamley's on Regent Street and found a perfect die cast red double decker, plus a tube train too for good measure, some lollipops for my neices and pick and mix for me, a good shop was done in there. we followed our little shopping trip with a lovely Italian meal at a little bistro off Carnaby Street.

The second day was the main sightseeing day, we headed off early and had breakfast at a little coffee shop on Borough High Street, just by London Bridge, then a walk around the market and a walk by the Thames, where we discovered this wonderful ship in it's own little lock. We got some lovely photos of the views over the Thames, you can see St Paul's Cathedral in the top one, shame it is spoilt with my mug shot...lol. Lunch was spent at Canary Wharf, a good old Starbucks Croque Monsieur Panini and a Frappucino and I was ready to head into the Fiorelli shop...much to Jeff's dispair, I was very good, just one large bag in good old black and it was in the sale...so he was still smiling and so was the credit card!!

We were due to enter the exhibition at 12.30pm so got there in good time, to a HUGE queue, well 2 queues to be exact, one for the 12pm entry, still filing in and then ours. They moved us through quite quickly though we got into the exhibition at 12.50pm and we shown a short video introduction and then we headed inside, it was 11 seperate galleries, focusing on the immediate family (pareants and grandparents of King Tut) and then the final 3-4 galleries on him. there were lots of different artifacts, all with great descriptions, we had an audio tour too narrated by Omar Sharif which was really informative. There were no major peices in the galleries, only minor artifacts, so for an Egypt nut like me, it was disappointing, as I would have liked to see more. But for a person with a general interest I would imagine it would be fine. We were rushed around the place though, the whole time inside was 1 hour 20 minutes...not really worth the £25 each we paid. But if I hadn't of gone I would have always wished I had.

We finished off our day out with a walk to St Katherine's Dock to look at the very posh boats and then a wander to the Tower of London. The day was completed with a lovely Tapas meal :)

So all in all a good few days away....but glad to be home to my own bed and my stitching.

Hugs

2 comments:

Karan said...

Great pics and sounds like it was hectic but fun. Hope you get your trip to Egypt to see the best exhibits. :0)

Sally said...

Lovely pics Elisa.