I was walking through the city centre yesterday to go to the hospital to visit Mum (all went well and the surgery went to plan, I spoke to her this morning and she has been out of bed and had a short walk), I visited the haberdashery for some bias binding for the basket lining and I picked up a couple of balls of chunky yarn for a cowl I'm making….more of those later in the post
When I'd finished my childfree mooch I wandered onto the hospital, it was a cold, dull, breezy day .....the breeze was certainly stronger whipping around this magnificent building...
I suddenly realised how lucky I am to live in such a beautiful and historic city, I am probably not the only person who walks around and doesn’t notice the amazing historical architecture around me….I made the decision there and then to appreciate my hometown much more and every time I venture into the city shopping to visit a new (old) place…..
This is York Minster, or to give it it’s proper name ‘ Cathedral and Metropolitical Church of St Peter in York’ beneath the building is the remains of a Roman Basilica from the fortress as York was the Roman city Eboracum during its occupation of England. There has been a Christian Church on the site since 627AD.
A stone Saxon church survived Viking invasion in 866AD but was ransacked by William the Conqueror's forces in 1069. William appointed his own Archbishop, Thomas, who by the end of the century had built a great Norman Cathedral on the site. The present Gothic Style church was designed to be the greatest cathedral in the kingdom. It was built over 250 years, between 1220 and 1472.
The Minster has a fabulous website is you fancy finding out more….click here
History lesson complete…..onto crafting…I fancied a nice snug cowl for those cold mornings walking to work…I picked up a couple of balls of King Cole Big Value Chunky for pennies yesterday, I set to it around 7pm last night and by 11pm it was all done…
The light is not good today, the colour is a deep purple with flecks of cranberry and an iridescent plum…I hooked it in treble crochet on a 10 hook, it’s quite loose and floppy which was the look I was aiming for.
Also….this morning ye olde sewing machine was set up….and this occurred..
and now it’s like this….
I’m so pleased with it….my yarn for making my circles for my bed blanket is now to hand, so I can pick it up whenever I need to…
Thank you all for your kind words, thoughts and prayers for my mum, I passed them all along to her.
I’ll be back soon…..
Hugs & Stitches
15 comments:
lovely wool stash gorgous colours x
What a pretty basket liner! Good idea and beautiful fabric.
What a beautiful building in your town. Hope you share more pictures of old buildings from time to time. I find it very interesting. Thanks.
So happy to hear good news about your mum! Your cowl looks so warm and comfy, and your basket is lovely.
I didnt click that you lived in York. My kids love the viking museum..especially the smelly special affects rofl. Thanks for sharing..I look forwards to seeing more of York. xxx
I'm glad your mum got on fine, I wish her a speedy recovery. York is a beautiful city - it's many years since I've been there. You made a lovely job of your basket, very clever.
So glad that your Mom is doing well and that you are there to help with her recovery.
Thanks for the lovely pics from your walk.
Great projects and storage for the yummy yarn.
Get well wishes for mum, I hope she is soon home and recovering well.
Your knitting bag looks super.
Your basket is beautiful. I loved visiting York many years ago. It is beautiful. Lovely snug. Glad your mum is on the mend.
Oh my, Miss Crafty her very self! Love the cowl and the liner. I remember listening to an archeologist on t'telly say that when we walk in England we walk on an awful lot of footsteps that have gone before. Definitely true of York. Hugs to your mum x
The basket liner looks perfect. I look forward to seeing your latest knitting and crochet projects :)
Best wishes.
Oh Elisa I love love love your basket it looks so pretty. I am the same we live near Lichfield Cathedral and we rarely notice it when we walk around. Give your mom my love looks like I will be having the same op this year ! xx
The new cowl looks lovely and warm. Oh your basket is wonderful now with that pretty liner in.
I love York, or Jorvik as my very distant relatives called it.. :) Have been there twice myself, and would love to revisit again.
The basket looks gorgeous. Great work!
Beni from Norway
So glad your mom is doing well post-surgery! The cathedral is so pretty. I try to play tourist in my city every once in a while as the architecture is lovely...not nearly as old as your town though. Your basket lining came out wonderful and is just super stuffed t the gills with yarn. Enjoy your cowl! It should keep you super warm in the chill.
I'm really glad to hear your mum is doing well. I love York, I used to work there. It's been a while since I visited. I love what you did with that basket, very pretty. x
Post a Comment